Monday, February 06, 2006

Guitar Hero madness caught on video

I've been playing Guitar Hero since just after Christmas and have beaten it on "Medium" difficulty. I'm making my way through the "Hard" setting, but I don't know that I'll ever reach "Expert" and play the way this guy does. The game allows hammer-ons and pull-offs and this guy uses them to extreme effect, even using his right hand (otherwise his "strum" hand) to finger some of the notes. He's showing off, but damn, I might do the same thing if I had that ability. The cool thing is, the way this guy plays the solo with both hands is very similar to how the actual guitar player in Pantera would play solos, so maybe it's also a sort of tribute.

The camera placement for this video is just perfect, and the sound from the game is also captured very well. The song is Cowboys From Hell by Pantera (site seems to like IE best), and the original guitarist was Diamond "Dimebag" Darrell whom you may remember was tragically shot and killed onstage by a "fan" who was upset that Pantera had broken up. Darrell was playing in his new band Damageplan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, when I read those interviews with the people whose lives have been touched in one way or another by Dimebag, I get a little lump in my throat. That incident will stick out as one that truly affected me; more than Princess Di, more than Frank Zappa, shit--even more than Jimmy Stewart's passing. There will never be another. EVER. DAmn, I need to listen to Hollow right now...